Tuesday 18 February 2014

Hobby Horns - Bases

Hobby Horns - Bases
I've recently been updating the bases for my Beastmen, this is for a few reasons. The first is that the bases I'd done looked god awful and needed updating. Secondly the painting that I'd done too the miniatures seemed to be sapped away by the large brown base, so I thought I'd do something a little understated and clinical instead.

I've attached some pictures of the comparisons, but this is still a work in progress.

Original Basing - Gor (Left)
Back when I first started painting the Beastmen, I didn't have a clear idea about the general painting theme of the miniatures. The first miniature to be finished was the Beastlord and I painted him with a brown base simply because I wasn't really too bothered about it - however this stuck for all the miniatures from there on. The bases had a bit of slate super-glued on, and where then flocked with a sort of Autumnal mess, grass was then added in patches alongside smaller pebbles.

Generally the base coverage wasn't too bad, but the overall colour of the model (being Grey and Brown) blended them together making for a large smudge of brown on the tabletop. 

In other words they looked like a large smear of Beastmen shit.

New Basing - Bestigor (Right)
At Christmas, GW released a bunch of new Technical paints. And Agrellan Earth looked fantastic so I simply purchased it to see how it worked, and I was so impressed that I had to change the Beastmen's bases to suite this new look.
  
I decided that the models need to stand out more, so the edges had to be black, the light ochre colour of the Agrellan Earth didn't verge onto the brown of the model too much and I decided to throw a curveball and reposition the miniatures in the snow. This is still in slow going process, however I'm going to be adding icicles to the bases as well as the slate rocks to add more depth.

Tell me what you think, do you think they're improved?



 

3 comments:

  1. Definitely an improvement, they look good! One thing you could do to improve them further would be to make your bases less flat so they look more natural. I've tried to do the same with my own beasties: http://z8.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=24901&st=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had a look at your Herd, and they look fantastic. I definitely see what you mean about making the bases more natural and 3-Dimensional, I might have to go back and think of some ways of doing this, unfortunately it requires removing the miniatures from their bases which can be a bit of a pain.

      Delete
    2. Yeah it is a bit of a hassle, I cut of the slotta base tab and then pin the mini to the base one I've added height to it. Anyways, it's just a suggestion, your herd looks ace as it is!

      Delete